Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 Medium White or Yellow Onion
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 8oz can Black Beans
- 1 Cup Diced Tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 2 8 oz Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper (can always do 1 tablespoon to make it a little more mild)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- Optional for Garnish: (1) Avocado, (1 bunch) Cilantro, (3) Green Onions, 1/2 Cup cheese of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Using a peeler, peel the sweet potato and dice up into small cubes. Place on parchment paper and add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add sweet potatoes, diced onion, drained and washed black beans, and diced tomatoes.
- In a small bowl add tomato sauce, cayenne pepper, pepper and garlic powder and mix well.
- In a casserole oven safe dish (9 x 13), spray or oil the bottom of the dish lightly. Add corn tortillas to fill up the bottom of the whole dish. Spread about 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce, then scoop half of the sweet potato filling and spread evenly. Repeat steps, another layer of tortillas, 1/2 cup tomato sauce and the rest of the sweet potato filling. Then add the last of the tomato sauce into and spread around.
- Optional; Garnish with cilantro, green onion, and cheese
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add avocado on top and enjoy!