Nam Tok Beans (Adapted from Kin Khao)
- 16 oz Rancho Gordo Heirloom Cranberry Beans (Beans)
- 1 Head of Butter Lettuce for Wraps (or your favorite wide lettuce)
- 6 Limes
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Oil
- 2 Medium Shallots
- 1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro
- 1/2 Bunch Fresh Mint
- 3 Green Onions
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Cup to 1 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- Optional; 3/4 Thai Chilis
This recipe is adapted from Kin Khao a Michelin Star Restaurant in San Francisco https://www.kinkhao.com/
I seriously dream about their food! Since their restaurant is temporarily closed right now, I had to make do and try to recreate one of my favorite dishes of theirs.
- Rinse all beans.
- In a large pot add 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and add beans. Lightly toast beans for 3 to 5 minutes. Add water up to two inches and bring to a heavy boil. Then lower heat to a simmer for 2 hours. Keep adding in 1 cup of water until beans are soft. Add salt and mix well.In a large cast iron or skillet add vegetable oil over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Add in a spoonful of beans and fry for 3 minutes until crispy. Set crispy beans aside in a large bowl. Repeat until all beans are fried.
- Slice shallots and add to a pan over medium heat with 1 teaspoon oil. Saute until lightly golden brown (about 2 to 3 minutes).Add juice of 4 limes, chopped cilantro, chopped mint, chopped green onions shallots, and chili oil to the beans. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Add more lime juice and chili oil if desired.
- Add beans to lettuce cup and enjoy 🙂
Submit your review