Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese
2 – 4 servings
- 2 14 oz can of organic tomatoes (diced or whole)
- 1 medium size whole onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 stick of butter (Vegan)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (Vegan cheese for vegan option)
- 1/2 cup mexican blend cheese (Vegan cheese for vegan option)
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (almond milk or coconut milk for vegan option)
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon parsley (dried or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste (I usually do 1 teaspoon each)
- 1 tablespoon basil (dried or fresh)
In a large pot add olive oil, chopped onion, chopped garlic, and parsley. Cook until golden brown.
Add tomatoes (with juice) and vegetable broth; cook until it boils.
Add to a blender and puree until it is all smooth. Add in 1/2 cup milk (of your choice), salt, pepper, garlic powder and basil. Puree until thoroughly mixed.
In a large sauce pan add butter to your pan until melted on low heat. Cut sourdough slices in half. Add four slices to the pan. Place grated cheese (combined) onto one side of the bread (only on two slices). Carefully place the two other slices on top of the of the halves with the cheese. Place a lid over the pan and let the cheese melt. Check to make sure the heat is low and the bread is not burning. Flip grilled cheese over and turn up the heat to medium to crisp both sides. Repeat for as many grilled cheese as desired.
Dip grilled cheese in Tomato soup and enjoy!