Homemade Shrimp and Grits
- 1 Large Bag of Uncooked Wild Caught Shrimp (2 lbs)
- 1 1/2 Cups Sweet Chili Thai Sauce
- 2 Bunches Organic Asparagas
- 1 Small Organic Tomato
- 3 Organic Green Onions
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican Jerk Seasonings
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- Salt to taste
- 1 Stick of Butter (unsalted or salted)
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Broth (or any broth you prefer)
- Combine water and milk and bring to a light boil.
- Add salt to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in grits 1/4 of a cup at a time to keep from clumping
- Cover with a lid leaving a little bit of space open at the top to let steam escape.
- Cook grits on very low heat for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Break off all the ends of the asparagus, lay out on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Drizzle 4 tablespoons of olive oil all over the asparagus.
- Add salt to taste
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until ends have a nice crisp.
- If using frozen shrimp, thaw shrimp in fresh water (never hot water).
- Un shell shrimp, skewer 4 shrimp per stake. Cut or brake off end of pointy end of skewer and place in large (gallon) zip lock bag. Repeat until all shrimp are skewered.
- Pour in sweet chili sauce into gallon bag with the shrimp. Marinate for one hour.
- After it has marinated, fire up the grill to high/hot (always brush and clean the grill prior to grilling). Place shrimp skewers on grill, sprinkle Jamaican jerk seasoning on top of all the shrimp. sear outside of shrimp to get char marks. (anywhere to 45 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the heat of your grill). Flip over sprinkle more jerk seasoning, turn burners to low. Take remaining marinated in zip lock bag and drizzle over shrimp. (anywhere to 45 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the heat of your grill).
- Use a mincer and mince the garlic.
- Add butter in a small sauce pan and sauté garlic on low heat until golden brown.
- Add in broth and heat for 2 minutes.
Dice tomatoes and slice the green onions to sprinkle on top along with pouring your butter sauce on top and enjoy 🙂
Submit your review