Homemade Potato Fries and Thyme Ketchup
Servings 4 – 6
- 6 Large Organic Russet Potatoes
- 1 Cup Vegetable oil
- 1 Sprig of Thyme
- 2 Teaspoons Smoked Salt or Himalayan Salt
- 6 Sheets of Foil
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Shallot, Sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Inch Fresh Ginger (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flacks
- 2 Teaspoons Chopped Fresh Thyme
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 8oz Can Whole Tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Applecider Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Preheat oven to 400 F
Wash and scrub each potato, with a fork puncher wholes all around the potatoes.
Wrap each potato with foil and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Once potatoes have cooled, slice in half, long ways down the potato. Lay the potato on the flat side and slice into 4 four quarters. Repeat with all potatoes.
In a large sauce pan over medium to high heat add vegetable oil, wait until it slightly starts to boil.
Carefully add each potato to the oil and fry until lightly golden brown. Repeat and set aside, sprinkling a pinch of salt and thyme on the potatoes.
In a medium sauce pan over medium heat add your shallots, garlic and ginger; saute until slightly golden brown.
Add in fresh thyme, allspice and red pepper flakes and stir for about 2 minutes.
Add in tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, and whole tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes on low heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you have extra thyme, sprinkle fresh thyme on top for garnish.