Butternut Squash Risotto Balls with a Cashew, Garlic and Safe Schemer
Serves 6 to 8 (As an Appetizer)
- 1 Pound Butternut Squash (one medium sized butternut squash)
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth (I use better than bouillon organic seasoned vegetable base)
- 2 Tablespoon Avocado Oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 medium Shallots (1/2 Cup)
- 2 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 1 Cup Arborio Rice
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine (or can substitute for more broth)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Sage
- 4 Eggs Whites
- 2 Cups Panko Crumbs
- 8 to 10 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil (for frying)
A beautiful plating idea for this appetizer: Annieglass Oval Server
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Sage
- 6 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- Optional; 2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Peel and chop your butternut squash into small one inch cubes. Drizzle vegetable oil (1 Tablespoon) on the butternut squash and bake for 25 minutes.
- Boil 2 cups of water. In a container with a lid and one cup of cashews and boiled water. Seal the lid and let sit while preparing the rest of the meal. (Let sit for at least 1 hour, the longer the better).
- In a medium pot add your 4 cups of broth and bring it to a medium boil.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil, chopped shallots, garlic and sage. Saute until lightly golden brown.
- Add in one cup of rice and cook for about 2 minutes until rice is lightly toasted.
- Add in 1/2 cup of white wine or 1/2 cup of vegetable broth. Cook until almost all the liquid has been evaporated.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth, cook until almost evaporated and repeat this 1/2 cup of broth at a time until all the broth is gone.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Once the butternut squash has baked. Add to a blender or smash with a fork. Then mix into the rice.
- Spread the rice out on a cookie sheet and place in the fridge for 20 to 40 minutes until nice and cool.
- Once rice has cooled; In two separate small bowls add 4 egg whites in one bowl and panko crumbs in the other.
- In a cast iron or pan of your choice add 8 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium to high heat. Let heat for 1 minute.
- Roll the rice into 2 inch sized balls, roll in egg white and then panko crumbs; place in oil and repeat.
- *** Keep an eye on the rice balls as they fry, they crisp up fast, you want to rotate and move the the balls every 30 seconds or so.
- Place on a cookie sheet and keep in the oven on warm until ready to serve.
- Drain the Cashews but save 4 to 6 Tablespoons of the cashew water.
- In a small pan add 1 teaspoon of oil, chopped garlic and chopped sage. Saute until the garlic is lightly golden brown (about 1.5 minutes)
- Add the cashews, 4 tablespoons water, garlic, sage, pepper, salt and optional parmesan cheese to the blender and blend; if it is not creamy enough add one tablespoon of water at a time until you reach a good creamy texture.
- Spread on the bottom of a plate or dip your risotto balls right on in! 🙂
Submit your review
Create With Kendra
Average rating: 0 reviews