Healthy Sloppy Joes with Tempeh
- 7 oz Crumbles Tempeh (May also substitute for Ground Turkey)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 2 Jalapeños
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Sprigs Green Onions
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (if you so not like spicy, skip the red pepper flakes)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Head of Butter Lettuce
- In large pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil, chopped belle pepper, minced garlic, chopped onion, chopped green onion (save 2 tablespoons for garnish) and diced jalapeño (save one for garnish). Saute until onions are a light golden brown (about 2 minutes).
- Add in crumbles tempeh and water. Cook until water gets evaporated.
- Add in tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, mustard, cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Let cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Wash the butter lettuce and lay them out on a serving dish. I like using my Annieglass Roman Antique Four Point Bowl
- Using a spoon, scoop the filling (about 1 1/2 spoon full) to each. Garnish with chopped green onions and sliced jalapeños.
Submit your review
Create With Kendra
Average rating: 0 reviews